Positive Behavior Intervention Supports
We believe in the 3 R’s: Respect, Responsibility, and Ready to Succeed. The PBIS Team is here to show students what it looks like to be respectful, responsible, and ready to succeed, and to help develop and carry-out the teaching of all Davies expectations. Starting in 2011 we implemented PBIS to foster a positive school climate by setting clear expectations for our students and faculty. To create this positive environment, we set expectations with a positive tone and reward students who display the 3 R’s.
What happens when we build a positive school climate?
Studies show a link between a positive school climate and the following student outcomes:
- Higher student academic motivation and engagement (Eccles et al., 1993)
- Improvements in academic achievement across all grades (Brand et al., 2003; Stewart, 2008)
- Less discipline problems (Cohen & Geier, 2010)
- Fewer school suspensions (Lee et al., 2011)
- Lower levels of bullying (Meyer-Adams & Connor, 2008; Bradshaw et al., 2009)
What changes have we seen at Davies?
Since implementing PBIS, we have measured the following improvements* in school climate:
- Advances in Mathematics, Reading, Writing, and Science as measured by NECAP
- A 15% decrease in reported instances of bullying
- A 64% decrease in instances of harassment
- A 54% decrease in behavior issues involving profanity and inappropriate language
- A nearly 50% decline in students skipping class
- An increase in students who feel school spirit
- Increase in graduation rates and decrease in dropouts†
* Data through school year 2015.
† Data through school year 2014.
Click image for fullsize.
PBIS Monthly CalendarSeptember - Hispanic HeritageOctober - Diversity and Inclusion Awareness / Support SkillsUSA with Breast Cancer AwarenessNovember - Native AmericanDecember - Celebrations of LightJanuary - National MentoringFebruary - Black HistoryMarch - Woman's HistoryApril - National Poetry MonthMay - Thank a Teacher/Asian Pacific IslanderJune - Pride Month/Cultural Heritage