Position: Production Machine Operator II
Date Revised: 2/19/2021
Reports to: Production Supervisor
330A Turner Street
Attleboro, MA 02703
A Marmon Wire & Cable/Berkshire Hathaway Company
General Position Summary: The Production Machine Operator II is responsible for duties related to manufacturing wire on Cablers, Braiders, Twisters and other like machinery to produce products per customer specifications in a timely and accurate manner.
- Efficiently manufacture quality wire product on assigned machinery, such as Cablers, Braiders, Twisters, and Auto Pack machinery.
- Serves as back-up and has the versatility to run most Operator I machinery such as Spoolers and Twinners proficiently on an as needed basis.
- Responsible for Hipot testing of product to determine adequacy of electrical insulation. ● Load all necessary pay-offs with full spools to be cabled.
- Load empty reel into take-up cradle.
- Select proper gear to obtain the proper lay.
- Start machine and observes operation to assure machine/s are running properly. ● Verify wire sizes and using proper calibrations according to specs.
- Load necessary tapes or binders.
- Examine wire for visual conformance to specifications and removes defects or defective pieces.
- Remove full take-up reels and unload empty pay-off reels.
- Move materials, skids, and equipment at safe speeds using the proper equipment as needed.
- Support and participate in Lean/5S and process improvement initiatives as needed. ● Maintain compliance with all Comtran Environmental, Health and Safety policies. ● Support activities within compliance to ISO Quality System procedures. ● Work as a team with other leads, supervisors, managers and Comtran employees. ● Responsible for all other projects, tasks, etc., as assigned.
Accompanying Desired Attributes:
- Maintain reliable and consistent attendance.
- Approach safety consciousness by reliably wearing required PPE.
- Consistently produce accurate quality product and properly follow QA procedures and record keeping processes.
- Produce quality product with a sense of urgency and easily avoids distractions (i.e., cell phones) to meet on-time delivery targets.
- Respectfully makes recommendations and shares ideas to improve safety items, production processes and overall plant continuous improvement on a regular basis.
- Collaborates with others throughout the organization in a positive manner involving inquiries, ideas and/or concerns.
- Willingly participates in continuous improvement initiatives and activities, such as Kaizen events and/or positively contributes to discussions at Gemba huddle boards. ● Confidently run primary and secondary operations with little to no supervision.
Knowledge and Skills Preferred:
- Ability to read and write clearly.
- Ability to read job specification
- Ability to organize works tasks efficiently.
- Ability to communicate with all levels of employees.
- Must be able to perform basic arithmetic, statistics, and other specific mathematical applications.
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including the designs, uses, repairs, and basic maintenance.
- Basic knowledge of principles and processes for providing customers specific requirements and specifications.
- Hands-on wire and cable experience strongly preferred.
- Must be able to multi-task, follow priorities given, and have strong troubleshooting techniques.
- Self-starter; ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Strong housekeeping practices and organizational skills desired.
Education and Experience Preferred:
- High School Diploma/GED is preferred.
- Experience in a manufacturing environment with responsibilities in machine operating, is highly preferred.
Working Conditions and/or Physical Requirements:
- Ability to work in a manufacturing environment that can be noisy.
- Ability to follow safety guidelines and wear required PPE.
- Ability to work long hours while standing and operating machinery.
- Ability to work in high temperatures.
- Ability to move objects and materials of at least 50lbs.
Comtran Cable is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, gender, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.